[ExI] The "real" world

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 09:04:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Giulio Prisco wrote:
> Facebook and other online venues are part of our reality and,
> therefore, are as "real" as bricks and mortar. I don't know what
> reality is but, perhaps, reality is what we choose to pay attention
> to. In this sense, Facebook is more "real" than bricks. I am unable to
> understand why so many people play Farmville but, if they do, there is
> certainly a reason, and a very valid one from their point of view.

People have a sense of 'fairness'. (Even monkeys do, as well).
When people do a bit of work they expect to receive a reward. And this
is built-in to computer games. That's exactly why they are so
addictive.
People object strongly when others receive greater rewards for little
work (or they themselves receive little or no reward for their own
work).

Daily life for most people has a big disconnect between work and
reward. Especially during the great economic recession period. If
you've lost your job, your house, your pension, your investments,
etc..  to a greater or lesser extent, or are stuck in a dead-end job
working under continual harassment, then you *want* to escape to a
virtual world where work and skill is instantly rewarded.

Henry David Thoreau
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called
resignation is confirmed desperation...." 1854.

BillK