[ExI] The "real" world

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Mar 24 03:33:33 UTC 2010

Mike Dougherty wrote:

> I meant only to express that there may exist alternatives to uploading
> for the indefinite lifespan goal.  The technology that lets us
> disassemble and model subneuronal processes will probably make it
> possible to create artificial systems before the uploading process is
> considered safe enough for production use...

Of course.

> Suppose that a special diet would halt the process of aging and allow
> those who practice this restricted diet to literally live forever
> (barring physical injuries that induce a state of death) - what
> percentage of the world's population either could afford it or have
> the discipline to practice it unerringly?

Your second question, who would have the discipline to practice
it, depends for one thing on your first question, how affordable
it is. It's your hypothetical scenario, so you have to specify
an answer to the first question.

If it were cheap and easy---say the diet was a certain kind of
bean, canned corn, tomato juice, and a fruit---then I'd guess
around seventy percent of the population would go for it. We
are, after all, talking about totally halting aging!

Lee

P.S. to Sarah: Mike specified something guaranteed to work,
and work extremely well for almost all people: not slowing,
but halting aging.