[ExI] The "real" world

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Wed Mar 24 14:13:27 UTC 2010

El 2010-03-24 07:24, Lee Corbin escribió:

> People jump on new diets all the time. If we had *scientific
> proof* that this diet would do as you say, there would be
> absolutely no shortage of takers.

> Naturally, almost none of this applies to CR, a painful and
> unproven regimen.

I wonder about that. 1) "Painful" isn't universally true (at least going
by what CRers themselves say), and, more importantly 2) no putative
life-extending regimen is likely ever to be scientifically verified in
the way that other life-improving regimens can be verified, for the
simple reason that the relevant endpoints are too difficult to measure
(because one has to wait a century or so to measure them, or to verify
proxy measurements).

Anyone reasonable person who looks at the arguments and evidence for and
against CR would have to conclude that mild to moderate CR (for "normal"
people -- those without a predisposition to eating disorders, those who
don't suffer from illnesses tht require ingestion of a lot of food, and
so on) is vastly more likely to lengthen life than not. I find it
puzzling that so few life-extensionists have even TRIED CR (to see
whether "painful" is, for them, "too painful").

Brian