[ExI] The "real" world

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:27:36 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Brian Manning Delaney
<listsb at infinitefaculty.org> wrote:

> Anyone reasonable person who looks at the arguments and evidence for and against CR would have to conclude that mild to moderate CR (for "normal" people -- those without a predisposition to eating disorders, those who don't suffer from illnesses tht require ingestion of a lot of food, and so on) is vastly more likely to lengthen life than not.

I don't think it's that clear.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090123101224.htm

"For lean mice – and possibly for lean humans, the authors of a new
study predict – the anti-aging strategy known as caloric restriction
may be a pointless, frustrating and even dangerous exercise."

"For humans of normal weight, Sohal strongly cautions against caloric
restriction. In a 2003 study, he and Forster found that caloric
restriction begun in older mice – both in DBA and leaner C57
individuals – actually shortened life span."

> I find it puzzling that so few life-extensionists have even TRIED CR (to see whether "painful" is, for them, "too painful").

I used it to drop 25 lbs, and it wasn't horrible, but it was
unpleasant enough that I wouldn't want to do it long-term without more
evidence that it's safe and effective.

-Dave