[ExI] The "real" world

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Mar 24 16:25:53 UTC 2010

Brian wrote:

"I wonder about that. 1) 'Painful' isn't universally true (at least going by
what CRers themselves say), and, more importantly 2) no putative
life-extending regimen is likely ever to be scientifically verified in the
way that other life-improving regimens can be verified, for the simple
reason that the relevant endpoints are too difficult to measure (because one
has to wait a century or so to measure them, or to verify proxy
measurements).

Anyone reasonable person who looks at the arguments and evidence for and
against CR would have to conclude that mild to moderate CR (for 'normal'
people -- those without a predisposition to eating disorders, those who
don't suffer from illnesses tht require ingestion of a lot of food, and so
on) is vastly more likely to lengthen life than not. I find it puzzling that
so few life-extensionists have even TRIED CR (to see whether 'painful' is,
for them, 'too painful')."

But isn't "mild to moderate" CR comparable to simply eating healthfully?
Eating healthfully means getting enough to sustain and not increase fat
cells.  More important than CR is to eat healthy and exercise.  AND this to
most people is very "painful".  For me, it would be exceedingly painful to
eat large portions of fried food - or any food for that matter.  My body's
cells would form a rebellion with gastritis, constipation, heart burn, and
headaches.

Nlogo1.tif Natasha Vita-More