[ExI] essentialism and/or continuity

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun May 23 17:41:20 UTC 2010

On 22 May 2010 20:26, Damien Broderick
> In brief, yes.

I can't really say that I have an emotional understanding of this
position, but I think that it may still be a plausible metaphoric
comprehension of brand-new scenarios under our evolved instincts...

>> And even in such case, would you really consider teleport as "death"?
>
> Only if it destroys the original. Otherwise it's a kind of high-fidelity
> copying or cloning.

Yes, I would call it a "human telefax" more than a "human teleport".

OTOH, as to ordinary teleportation, I posit that
a) philosophically there is no real way to decide whether to describe
it as "moving yourself from point A to point B" or "killing yourself
in point A and have a perfect copy created at point B"; and that
b) sociologically, if ever it were available tomorrow, it would take
over public transportation by storm, those who out of an
interpretation of its working under the second POV and go on suffering
the nightmare of air transportation would be even fewer than those who
still travel exclusively by train and sea, and the chances of survival
of the meme "teleport=death" would be fairly limited.

--
Stefano Vaj