[ExI] Fusion Rocket

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 16:00:16 UTC 2010

The main problem is, current fusion reactor operators consider sustaining
fusion
for a few seconds to be "long duration", and have engineered several tricks
to keep
it going that long.  (See the entire "inertial confinement" branch, for
example: "it's
'contained' because we imploded it, for the duration of the implosion".)
You'd need
to keep it up for several minutes.

If you could solve that problem, while keeping the fusion self-sustaining,
you
probably would not be far from having a commercially viable fusion reactor -
as well
as being much closer to a working fusion rocket.