[ExI] hot processors?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 14:55:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM, spike wrote:
> OK, I just got back from the local electronics merchant where I purchased a
> notebook cooler.  Let's see if this helps.  If this machine fails to run all
> night, I will need to rethink my strategy on using a laptop, and may cause
> me to rethink the notion of the singularity.  We may be seeing what really
> is an S-curve in computing technology, where we are approaching a limit of
> calculations per watt of power input.  Or not, I confess I haven't followed
> it in the past 5 yrs the way I did in my misspent youth.  Are we still
> advancing in calculations per watt?

Oh-oh.  I just did a search on 'HP Pavilion dv7 overheating' and it
looks like you've bought a problem laptop.  Do the search and you'll
see what I mean.

************************
Is there any chance of returning it and getting your money back?
*****************************

If not, then a high-power laptop cooler is required. Something like this:
<http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Chill-AWE55US-Black-Gray/dp/B002NU5O9C/>
with twin fans. A simple stand won't be sufficient.

You won't be able to use the laptop on your lap without getting burnt.
Even using it on any flat surface like a desk will cause overheating.

It seems to be a design fault by HP on this model. The internal fan is
too small to cool the processor and the graphics chip they fitted. And
the air vents are badly positioned and easily blocked. It is essential
to keep the vents clean on this model by blowing compressed air
through the vents on a regular basis.

Best of luck!       BillK