[ExI] The answer to tireless stupidity

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 19:28:18 UTC 2010

I don't disagree about the "silent audience" in any discussion, though I wonder
if some of them aren't just immediately turned off by a continuous stream of
emotional arguments anyhow.

Regarding facts, the problem here would be interpretation in many cases. Also,
merely citing journal articles doesn't settle things in many cases. Think about
those economists and market analysts pointing out that the housing bubble was
going to burst and those who argued against them. The latter could've easily
created chatbots citing all the relevant articles in peer-reviewed journals
right up until the market unraveled in 2008. In a sense, it's all going to
depend on what the silent audience takes for fact and reliable reasoning in the
first place. (Of course, this is not an attack on chatbots per se, but merely to
point out that the wider social context is important.)

Regarding a Creationist setting these up, well, aren't there already cheat
sheets that Creationists use? Isn't there a book out called _How to Debate an
Atheist_? Yes, this can be used for good or ill, and, like you, I'm more the
optimist here. But the likely long-term outcome is probably not going to be the
Dark Side is thwarted by chatbots, but that Dark Side chatbots make the more
intelligent people less likely to take chat seriously. (In my opinion, that
might actually be a big win. There are almost always more important things to
do. :)

Regards,

Dan