[ExI] The Codescape

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 01:25:00 UTC 2010

On 8 November 2010 11:10, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I liked your post on the codescape, Emlyn.

Thanks Stuart!

> The interesting thing from my
> perspective is how much it has changed in my lifetime. When I was a kid, knowing
> even a single programming language made you (un)cool. These days you need to
> know almost half a dozen to put together a decent website. And if you want to
> be a serious codejockey, you need to know about a dozen.

Absolutely. I've said for a while now, it's much more difficult to be
a coder now than it used to be, because there is no certainty. You
can't really know your environment in the way you used to be able to,
you have to trust often quite opaque layers from elsewhere. You have
to turn over knowledge and paradigms constantly (actually at an
increasing rate).

You have to be comfortable with stringing together lots of shallow
knowledge, and also with going deep in what I think of as the
shallow-deep way; go in fast, learn the details, really understand
temporarily, do what needs doing really well in an encapsulated way
(so that what has been made can be used with a lot less
understanding), then break back out, and do the next thing, forgetting
the depth you had acquired. You'll probably never need that detailed
knowledge again, and if you do you can acquire it again. Even
understanding can be looked at through the lens of access rather than
ownership.

> That's quite a bit
> different from the way meatspace works where most people know one or two
> languages and get by just fine. IMO what the codescape needs is a "lingua
> franca".
>  Stuart LaForge
>
> “To be normal is the ideal aim of the unsuccessful.” -Carl Jung

Well, you can get along with just a language or two for a while, if
you pick the right one(s). But really to stay in it long term is to
commit to changing your knowledge over frequently.

There's an underlying unity to at least large families of languages,
and of course you look for that to help move. I used to try to find
the similarities, to help move from language to language, which is
good, but it means you always have a dreadful accent, and lots of
impedance.

Now I try to find the differences, the things that make each language
unique, to try to become as native as possible as quickly as possible.

As to a lingua franca, the Codescape is on top of that, it's got heaps of them!