[ExI] Eliezer S. Yudkowsky, Singularitarian Principles. Update?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 16:42:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
> (Example:   in the context of human reasoning research, he claimed
> comprehensive knowledge of the area but then had to look in Wikipedia, in
> the middle of our argument, to find out about one of the central figures in
> that field (Johnson-Laird)).

That doesn't prove anything. I think it's probably possible to have
comprehensive knowledge of human reasoning research without knowing
everything there is to know about Johnson-Laird off the top of your
head. Details about individuals, dates, places, etc., are really just
trivia that don't indicate a lack of knowledge--much less
understanding. And this example indicate any of lack of understanding.

> By itself his lapses of understanding might
> have been forgivable, but what really made people dismiss him as a "juvenile
> amateur" was the fact that he condemned the person he was arguing against as
> an ignorant crackpot, when all that person did was quote the standard
> textbook line at him.

I think there are probably numerous examples of "standard textbook
lines" that *would* be considered ignorant to quote, today.

I don't have an opinion on Eliezer, I just don't think you've made a
strong argument.

-Dave