[ExI] Eliezer S. Yudkowsky, Singularitarian Principles. Update?

x at extropica.org x at extropica.org
Sun Nov 14 17:59:22 UTC 2010

2010/11/14 Tomaz Kristan <protokol2020 at gmail.com>:
> The conservatives like you two are doll like those Indians who wanted to
> prevent any Moon landing on the basis of "don't touch our grandmother".
> The warm feeling of ancient wisdom means, you are probably wrong.

Tomaz, I'm about as far from "conservative" as it gets.  My thinking
on human enhancement, transformation and personal identity, and the
systems necessary for supporting such growth is in fact too radical
for the space-cadet mentality that tends to dominate these
discussions.  I would suggest the same is true of Stefano.

For example, if we could ever get past the "conservative" belief in a
discrete, essential self (a soul by any other name), and all the
wasted, misguided effort entailed in its survival, we could move on to
much more productive discussion of increasing awareness of our present
but evolving values, methods for their promotion, and structures of
agency with many more degrees of freedom for ongoing meaningful
growth.

- Jef