[ExI] Paleo/Primal health [Was: Re: Technology, specialization, and diebacks...Re: I love the world. =)]

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sun Nov 14 19:19:51 UTC 2010

Your reply again illustrates why I wanted you to read some of the
sources. You're assuming I'm advocating rejecting any adjustments to
(what we know of) the paleo diet (which itself varied according to
people's location and environment). Even a quick look would have
shown you that many paleos favor cautious and moderation
supplementation, for instance.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-primal-supplementation/

On the commonalities and variations on the paleo diet:
http://www.paleodiet.com/definition.htm

>I don't think it's particularly Extropian not to apply science and
>technology to our diets.

Now you're telling me what's extropian and doing so based on a false
assumption.

>I'm not quite ready to start living off the land, give up electricity, ...

And no one is suggesting that you do. I posted the information and
links so that people could explore this. Let me make it clear that I
am not willing to engage in a lengthy set of replies with those who
clearly haven't read any of the material. If you find this
condescending, sorry. I find your reply condescending too, so that
makes us even. :-)

See, even this post is already drawing me into a discussion I didn't
want to have. I'll try to make it my last.

>Grains may compare unfavorably to lean meat, but an acre of wheat
>produces a lot more food than an acre of pasture. Since more than
>half of all calories currently consumed come from grains, there have
>to be serious issues involved with phasing them out completely.

Serious issues, yes, but perhaps not issues we can't overcome. Jared
Diamond complains that "agriculture is the worse mistake in the
history of the human race". Loren Cordain seems to think we've put
ourselves in a difficult situation by becoming so dependent on agriculture.

For an interestingly different perspective to the standard vegetarian
position, see this piece that I came across a few weeks ago:

Animal, Vegetable, or E. O. Wilson
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/09/11/animal-vegetable-or-e-o-wilson/

>Yes, whole grains are good sources of carbohydrates, protein, fiber,
>photochemicals, vitamins, minerals, etc.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Cereal%20article.pdf
page 25.
  From p.24: "All cereal grains have significant nutritional
shortcomings which are
apparent upon analysis. From table 4 it can be seen that cereal grains contain
no vitamin A and except for yellow maize, no cereals contain its metabolic
precursor, beta-carotene. Additionally, they contain no vitamin C, or vitamin
B12. In most western, industrialized countries, these vitamin shortcomings
are generally of little or no consequence, since the average diet is not
excessively dependent upon grains and usually is varied and contains meat
(a good source of vitamin B12), dairy products (a source of vitamins B12
and A), and fresh fruits and vegetables (a good source of vitamin C and
beta-carotene)."

page 26:
"However, as more and more cereal grains are included in the diet, they
tend to displace the calories that would be provided by other foods (meats,
dairy products, fruits and vegetables), and can consequently disrupt adequate
nutritional balance. In some countries of Southern Asia, Central America,
the Far East and Africa cereal product consumption can comprise as much
as 80% of the total caloric intake [16], and in at least half of the
countries of
the world, bread provides more than 50% of the total caloric intake [16]. In
countries where cereal grains comprise the bulk of the dietary intake, vitamin,
mineral and nutritional deficiencies are commonplace."

I've already provided pointers on the topic, but see Cordain's
discussion of anti-nutrients in cereals from page 42.

Apart from replying to Natasha's question, no more time for this. To
those interesting in exploring further, I have plenty more good
information sources if you want them.

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher