[ExI] Paleo/Primal health [Was: Re: Technology, specialization, and diebacks...Re: I love the world. =)]

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 20:10:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:

> Your reply again illustrates why I wanted you to read some of the sources.

I've been reading a bunch of them.

>> I don't think it's particularly Extropian not to apply science and
>> technology to our diets.
>
> Now you're telling me what's extropian and doing so based on a false
> assumption.

I don't think you really disagree with my statement.

I'm guessing the assumption you're referring to is that "paleo/primal
diet" means "a nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of
wild plants and animals that various human species habitually consumed
during the Paleolithic [Era]"*. If it really means "a modern diet
based on the presumed ancient diet [...] but incorporating current
knowledge of biochemistry, nutrition, genetics, etc.", then perhaps I
could be excused for being mislead.

>> Yes, whole grains are good sources of carbohydrates, protein, fiber,
>> photochemicals, vitamins, minerals, etc.
>
> http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Cereal%20article.pdf
> page 25.
>  From p.24: "All cereal grains have significant nutritional shortcomings
> which are apparent upon analysis...

Yes, no single food is complete. That doesn't mean grains aren't nutritious.

> "However, as more and more cereal grains are included in the diet, they
> tend to displace the calories that would be provided by other foods (meats,
> dairy products, fruits and vegetables), and can consequently disrupt
> adequate nutritional balance."

That doesn't mean that moderate grain consumption is bad.

> Apart from replying to Natasha's question, no more time for this. To those
> interesting in exploring further, I have plenty more good information
> sources if you want them.

I sense, from your two replies, that you think I'm hostile to the idea
of a "paleo" diet, but I'm not. I'm curious, and based on what I've
read so far I'm convinced there are some good ideas there, but I'm
also skeptical of some of the claims.

Thanks for your time so far. I don't expect a response.

-Dave

* Lifted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet