[ExI] A humble suggestion

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Nov 15 04:20:16 UTC 2010

On Nov 12, 2010, at 1:29 AM, Will Steinberg wrote:

> The thing is, collected here in the ExI chat list are a pretty handy set of thinkers/engineers, spread around the world (sort of.)  In fact, I can generalize this fact to say that almost all of the people interested in this movement fall into that category as well.  Now look.  This is a present dropped into your lap.  Instead of only discussing lofty ideals and philosophy, we (H+) should focus on the engineering of tools which will eventually be very important in the long run for humanity, and for our goals in particular.

Sounds great.  Start in on it.

> List of tools we need to invent/things we need to do:
>
> -A very good bidirectional speech-to-speech translator.  For spreading the gospel, once H+ wisens up enough to start including the proletariat.

*scratches head* What does that have to do with H+?  It is a good thing to have for a whole lot of reasons much broader than H+ specific ones.

> -Neoagriculture. This would mean better irrigation systems, GMO crops that can easily harness lots of sun energy and produce more food, maybe machines/instructions for diy fertilizer.

same comment.

> -Better Grid--test experimental grid where people opt to operate, on property, efficient windmills/solar panels/any electricity they can make for $$$

same comment.

> -Housing projects that work, or some sort of thing where you pay people to build their own house/project building.

same comment.

> -Fulfilling jobs for proles that also help society/space travel/humanism/H+.

I see fulfilling work as a function of skills, clarity of values, self-discipline, freedom and economy.  Which parts of those things do you propose to address how exactly?   Do you think "fulfilling jobs" can just be created by fiat top-down?

> -So many more, I know you can think of some!  I bet you have pet projects like these.  Ideas, at least.

Are you claiming that any pet projects any h+ people have are practical means for reaching what may distinguished as  H+ goals?

> By Le Châtelier's principle, improving these fucked up problems that exist for much of society will give us much more leeway and ability to do transhumanisty things, AND we can do them in the meantime.  It has to happen eventually, unless you have some fancy vision of the H+ elect ascending to cyberheaven and leaving everyone else behind.

Oh, so we have to fix everything in the world before we can address "transhumanisty things"?  No thanks.

> Thereby I suggest: a bunch of dedicated transhumanists mobilize and go to problematic regions, experimenting with those tools up there.  Everyone will love H+.   The movement will have lots of social power and then we can get shit done.  Right?

Nope.

- s