[ExI] Computer power needed for AGI [WAS Re: Hard Takeoff-money]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Wed Nov 17 19:22:39 UTC 2010

spike wrote:
> ... On Behalf Of Richard Loosemore
>>> Great.  When can I get an early alpha to fire up on my laptop?
>>> This is a pretty extravagant claim you are making so it requires some
>>> evidence to be taken too seriously.  But if you do have that where
>>> your estimates are reasonably robust then your fame is assured...
> Samantha
>
>> This is the kind of childish, ad hominem sarcasm used by people who prefer
> personal abuse to debating the ideas.
>
>> A tactic that you resort to at the beginning, middle and end of every
> discussion you have with me, I have noticed.
>
>> Richard Loosemore
>

> No name calling, no explicit insults, this is not ad hominem, not even
> particularly sarcastic, but rather it's fair game.  She focused on the
> ideas, not the man.  It's an example of how it should be done.
>
> Play ball!  {8-]

Flatly disagree, Spike.

She (sarcastically) asks when she can expect to get an alpha release of
an AGI on her laptop, and then (patronizingly) tells me that if I have
made a robust estimate then my fame is assured.

Neither of those comments had anything to do with the topic:  they were
designed to be rude.

Richard Loosemore