[ExI] Computer power needed for AGI [WAS Re: Hard Takeoff-money]

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Nov 17 20:05:38 UTC 2010

>> No name calling, no explicit insults, this is not ad hominem, not even
>> particularly sarcastic, but rather it's fair game.  She focused on the
>> ideas, not the man.  It's an example of how it should be done... Play
ball!  {8-] spike

>Flatly disagree, Spike.

>She (sarcastically) asks when she can expect to get an alpha release of an
AGI on her laptop, and then (patronizingly) tells me that if I have made a
robust estimate then my fame is assured.

>Neither of those comments had anything to do with the topic:  they were
designed to be rude.

>Richard Loosemore

On a related note, those of you who have been around here for a dozen or
more years, is it not remarkable how ExI-chat has become so much more a
kinder and gentler place than it was in the 90s?  Refer to the archives.  We
used to have shrieking flame wars, with dozens of participants hurling the
vilest insults and caustic recriminations their creative keyboards could
compose.  I don't miss that.

Richard here is my suggestion: answer every sarcasm with sincerity, meet
every rude attack with pleasant self-deprecating humor, reply to every
arrogance with well-reasoned logic and humility.  A soft answer turneth away
wrath, and all that, ja?  Let the audience be the jury.