[ExI] Transrealism (was Re: J. Stanton)

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Mon Nov 22 17:39:06 UTC 2010

Damien Broderick wrote:
> J, I see some comments on the method used in writing your book THE GNOLL
> CREDO:
>
> <http://www.gnolls.org/477/on-writing-making-a-point-vs-telling-a-story/>
>
> You might be interested in the theory and practice of transrealism,
> which you seem to have independently discovered. I'd recommend my book
> TRANSREALIST FICTION except that it absurdly costs $arm&leg. Google on
> Rudy Rucker and transrealism.

(Oh, you're *that* Damien Broderick.  Excellent!)

My approach of allowing plot to flow from characterization is definitely
shared with the Transrealists.  However, I believe there are also
important differences between The Gnoll Credo and fiction I understand
to be transreal: the narrator is not based on my own experience, and
neither reality nor the perception of it is nearly as plastic as, say,
Rudy Rucker's.

This is, in my opinion, what gives The Gnoll Credo such impact: instead
of the transreal approach of "the world is a much stranger place than
you think" (a valid approach, with great impact when done well), I go
the opposite direction: "a world you originally understood to be
fantastic is much more real than you think."  You probably already saw
this essay, which summarizes my thoughts on that subject:
http://www.gnolls.org/97/the-difference-between-me-and-chuck-palahniuk-is-that-i-dont-pull-my-punches/

You (and Darren, who left a comment on my site) have prompted an
interesting discussion, and I'll most likely write a full-length essay
exploring this topic.

JS
http://www.gnolls.org

PS: One final question, which we can take off-list if it's too
tangential: how do you consider James Tiptree, Jr. to be transrealist?
She's one of my favorite authors, but I have a hard time lumping her in
with Rucker and J. G. Ballard.