[ExI] imaginary numbers: RE: new entry from symphony of science

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 27 17:02:41 UTC 2010

... On Behalf Of Bill Hibbard
Subject: Re: [ExI] imaginary numbers: RE: new entry from symphony of science

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010, Bill Hibbard wrote:
> Spike wrote:
>> Here's a mathematical comment that will blow your mind if you think
>> about it hard enough, and one which also has real world applications:
>>
>> e^(i*pi) = -1
>> !
>> . . .
>>
>> e^(i*theta) = cosine(theta) + i*sin(theta)
>>
>> !!
>>
>> Is this cool or what?
>
> Way cool, Spike. When I learned this stuff as a tadpole I was
> fascinated by the fact that:
>
>  i^i = e^(-pi/2) = 0.207879576...
>
> is real.

   ( f(x + delta.x) - f(x) ) / delta.x

>If you already know calculus then complex variables aren't that big a leap,
and the beauty is worth the effort...Bill

I get porno in my inbox nearly every day.  I don't ask for it, friends just
send it.  The girls a beautiful indeed.  But this discussion is far more
on-turning, or rather they turn me onward.  There might be a term for that,
mathexual something.