[ExI] imaginary numbers: RE: new entry from symphony of science

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 18:03:54 UTC 2010

>I get porno in my inbox nearly every day.  I don't ask for it, friends just
send it.  The girls a beautiful indeed.  But this discussion is far more
on-turning, or rather they turn me onward.  There might be a term for that,
mathexual something.<

Mathurbating? Or is that too Castilian?

Darren

P.S. I get straight porno in my inbox everyday too. A little more
off-putting if you're homosexual. I'm thinking of changing my address to
barking-up-the-wrong-tree at gmail.com

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> ... On Behalf Of Bill Hibbard
> Subject: Re: [ExI] imaginary numbers: RE: new entry from symphony of
> science
>
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010, Bill Hibbard wrote:
> > Spike wrote:
> >> Here's a mathematical comment that will blow your mind if you think
> >> about it hard enough, and one which also has real world applications:
> >>
> >> e^(i*pi) = -1
> >> !
> >> . . .
> >>
> >> e^(i*theta) = cosine(theta) + i*sin(theta)
> >>
> >> !!
> >>
> >> Is this cool or what?
> >
> > Way cool, Spike. When I learned this stuff as a tadpole I was
> > fascinated by the fact that:
> >
> >  i^i = e^(-pi/2) = 0.207879576...
> >
> > is real.
>
>    ( f(x + delta.x) - f(x) ) / delta.x

> >If you already know calculus then complex variables aren't that big a
> leap,
> and the beauty is worth the effort...Bill
>
> I get porno in my inbox nearly every day.  I don't ask for it, friends just
> send it.  The girls a beautiful indeed.  But this discussion is far more
> on-turning, or rather they turn me onward.  There might be a term for that,
> mathexual something.
>
> spike

"In the end that's all we have: our memories - electrochemical impulses
stored in eight pounds of tissue the consistency of cold porridge." -
Remembrance of the Daleks