[ExI] Fwd: [Cosmic Engineers] Re: Sharing/engineering proposal

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 22:25:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> But the real world would be so  S....L......O.......W  compared with VR life.
>
> Why spend a year trying to build something in the real world when a
> comparable event could be done in a few seconds (real time) in VR and
> similar satisfaction obtained?
>
> Remember VR life will be on a recursive improvement route micro second
> by micro second. You won't go back to real life. It would be like
> visiting statues.

I think this a function of attention and focus.  You feel this life is
too slow because you are currently concerned only with the changes in
your current line of site or perhaps arm's length.  If you'd like to
be more busy, please come to my house and clean or mow the lawn or do
any of the other tasks that I am unable to fit in my rather short 24
hour day(s).  If you still have unused brainpower, please find out
what company's stocks I should be investing or what humanitarian
efforts could provide maximizal returns on minimal effort input.
Life's still moving too slow for you?  How about providing some
childcare for a dozen soccer moms while they enjoy some downtime. :)

I expect that the same would be true for the VR lifers too - devote
enough resource to any single task and it will be accomplished so
quickly that a great deal of time will be spent waiting for the next
novel moment.  In fact, you may become so bored with
instant-everything that you simply turn off your consciousness until
some minimally interesting threshold is reached.  Reminds me of a
curse/blessing:  May you live in interesting times.