[ExI] Psi in a major science journal, J. Personality and Social Psychology

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Oct 20 23:29:21 UTC 2010

On 10/20/2010 3:30 PM, Isabelle Hakala wrote:

> I *did* read the paper, at least through the end of the first
> experiment, and honestly, unless they post the CODE for the program,
> there is no way to know if there is a cheat involved.... Since the program chooses the placement of the
> picture AFTER the person inputs where they feel it will be, that could
> be RIFE for cheating.

Where does this hermeneutics of suspicion cease? Suppose I obtained the
code for you, what would you do with it? (Especially since you gave up
after reading only part of the formal paper.) And if you examined it
closely and found it acceptable, how would you know that some evil
scientist hadn't just *pretended* to use that code while really just
typing out 65 pages of invented results (John Clark's default claim) and
sending them off to gullible editors and referees, for whom careful
scrutiny is apparently a totally new concept.

I'm serious. What would satisfy you? What *could* satisfy you in this
instance?

Damien Broderick