[ExI] Deep roots of Quantum Mechanics [WAS Re: Psi in a major science journal...]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Thu Oct 21 15:01:53 UTC 2010

spike wrote:

> Either explanation boggles the hell outta my mind, and I can't help getting
> the feeling there must be (there MUST BE!) some alternate explanation that
> no one has thought of yet.  Please anyone here, I am open to suggestion,
> waaaay open: how and why does the double slit experiment work?

In answer to this, and your previous question about whether God had any
choice in making the universe in a quantum way...

The answer is probably going to come down to the fact that you actually
cannot have a universe in which things can be measured to infinite
precision, without things touching each other.  (This is an extension of
the Maxwell's Demon issue).

If particles could do that, it would have to involve some kind of
telepathy between them (they would have to collect information about
each other without interfering with one another).  If they could do
that, you suddenly have a helluva mind-body problem (how does the
non-touching gathering of information interface to the behavior of the
particles that is part of the regular universe of physics?).

So it might well be that no matter how long you sit around figuring out
how to invent a universe, all the designs involving perfect measurement
have to be thrown in God's trashcan, and the only one that works has a
breakdown at some scale.  The quantum scale.

Then the rest -- double slit experiment and all -- follows from that one
premise.

I keep meaning to write this up (if someone has not done so already),
but don't have the time.

Richard Loosemore