[ExI] Deep roots of Quantum Mechanics [WAS Re: Psi in a major science journal...]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Sun Oct 24 16:34:08 UTC 2010

Stefano Vaj wrote:
> On 21 October 2010 17:01, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
>> So it might well be that no matter how long you sit around figuring out how
>> to invent a universe, all the designs involving perfect measurement have to
>> be thrown in God's trashcan, and the only one that works has a breakdown at
>> some scale.  The quantum scale.
>
> Yes, OK, but while I am inclined to believe in the reality of
> (marginal) psi phenomena, and even more so after reading Damien's
> book, I am not sold to the idea of invoking quantum mechanics as a
> simple deus ex machina for the percentage of them which is not easily
> explained otherwise (e.g., unconscious body-language reading. which is
> a good enough form of telepathy in my book for wishing to enjoy it in
> much larger extent).
>
> I suspect on the contrary that psi phenomena may well be the indirect
> consequence of multiple, but probably "ordinary" (as opposed to
> quantum) physical processes involving our brain processes or the
> structure of reality itself; something which would not make them any
> less mysterious, fascinating and difficult tto explain.
>
> That is, until and unless somebody were able to provide evidence that
> psi information travels faster-than-light or anything like that.

Uhh... wait a moment.

What about precognitive effects?

These are ridiculously easy to do:  I myself set up a large experiment
(as i have described previously) in which there were about 60 subjects,
but where the targets that these subjects were supposed to be
"perceiving" were not even created until long after all the results were
collected.  The only person who had any control over the target creation
was me.

For the experiment to have worked (which it did) the subjects had to
"see" into the future, to when the targets were created.

Those kinds of results are (as far as I can see) extremely difficult to
reconcile with ordinary phenomena.  Heck, they are hard to reconcile
with even the most exotic QM either!

Richard Loosemore