[ExI] Let's play What If.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Oct 29 17:24:05 UTC 2010

On 10/29/2010 9:30 AM, John Clark wrote:
> suppose you were imprisoned in a deep dark dungeon and were told that
> like it or not tomorrow you would be thrown into the scanning chamber
> and duplicated

So I have no other option, except to try to kill myself, which I don't
suppose I'd do just to spare some other guy just like me a dreadful
fate--but I might if it was my wife who would be tortured if I were set
free (SOPHIE'S CHOICE sort of thing). Weird, eh? (I guess those selfish
genes just don't work right around duplicating machines.)

> and the copy would be horribly tortured, but immediately
> after the copying the original would receive a full pardon and get to go
> home. Leaving aside the question of empathy would you be nervous knowing
> what was going to happen tomorrow or happy at going free?

Why would I be nervous? I'd feel sick with disgust at my psychotic
captors and sorrow for my poor duplicate, though.

Damien Broderick