[ExI] Two Paths to Further Shrink Computer Chips

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 22:47:49 UTC 2010

Tomasz Rola wrote:
This sounds nice, gives hopes that one day building a 1000-core cpu will
be trivial (and I feel pervert pleasure thinking I would one day buy it
used from internet for the cost of pocket radio).

My question to everyone here...  How many years until we have a
1000-core cpu (or something equivalent) as a household desktop
computer?  My optimistic estimate is within ten years or by 2020.  And
what exactly would the number crunching/calculating power of a
1000-core cpu be?

I thought at first such a machine would simply be 500 times more
powerful than let's say a current dual processor computer, but
considering each individual processor may easily be a hundred times as
powerful as a cpu now, I would think this hypothetical machine would
literally be thousands of times more powerful than an average pc from
today.  Oh, and what about price?

I'm looking forward to being gee-wowed!!!  : )

John