[ExI] don't let your guard down, not for a minute...

Tim Halterman timhalterman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 13:55:14 UTC 2010

> Really, what do you make of this?

No current system is perfect and everlasting, communism, capitalism or
otherwise.  I don't think any system which requires people to do something
they don't wish or relies on exploiting another being as a permanent
solution.  These systems are simply biding their time until technology
advances to a point that a true communism is possible.   Communism in that
sense being a society where individuals are free to do as they wish and do
not require the exploitation of others to do so.  I think Marx felt this
way, although specific quotes elude me (It's been a number of years since I
read his work).

I always looked at the Soviet Union as simply picking a model close to a
hopeful end-state.  Had technology progressed at a faster rate I'm not sure
the collapse would have been inevitable, they could have simply evolved.  I
see the most technologically advanced societies the closest to achieving
true communism.

I think Fidel has most of his heart in the right place, the world simply
makes things more complicated.

-Tim