[ExI] A dispassionate examination of being an upload.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 18 05:16:14 UTC 2010

On Sep 17, 2010, at 8:01 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> om

om?

> Just as uploaders have declared the POV-self to be irrelevant

I have no idea what you mean, my uploader credentials go back over 15 years and I certainly don't think the POV of a person, or of a upload, or of a person who is an upload, is irrelevant.

> Many people try to pretend that by uploading the uploads will be able to escape from selective pressures.

I don't see why an uploader, or anyone for that matter, would be so stupid as to pretend selective pressures can ever be ignored.

> om

om?

> Variation in genetics comes from two sources, mutation and recombination.

Yes and the reason Evolution is so slow and clumsy is that contrary to what some bible thumpers may say intelligent design plays no part in the process.

> In uploads, the only source of variation between mem-selves will be aging.

Nonsense, with uploads intelligent design will be important and that would work much much faster and better than the evolutionary process as it has been known up to now.

> each such change will almost certainly require a reboot of the simulator and thus a generation of a new POV-self.

Why? If you are inactivated for a billion years and then restarted from your POV nothing has happened to you but the external universe has suddenly jumped forward a billion years.

> om

om?

> It should be noted that an AGI mem [...]

I really don't see what Adjusted Gross Income has to do with what we were talking about, or maybe you meant the American Geological Institute or Analytical Graphics Incorporated.

> any selective pressure that favors raw IQ and scaling will automatically strongly
> prefer the AI architecture. Any other mem-self that wants to compete on
> that plane, will be best advised to somehow merge with an AI.

Obviously.

> It should be noted that this option is available to non-uploaded humans with only
> a neural interface.

I don't see why something that isn't true should be noted.

> Another factor that is widely ignored is the compatibility with the
> given mem-self genome with what has been called it's "exoself". Exoself
> software will be written by a specific personality type. This exoself
> will benefit mem-selves with a compatible personality type. It is almost
> certain that a given exoself software will be incompatible with other
> personality types and specific individuals. These individuals, will be
> effectively crippled as uploads

I have no idea what that means.

> om

Or that.