[ExI] help please, from you creative types

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Sep 22 21:59:40 UTC 2010

...On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Subject: Re: [ExI] help please, from you creative types

2010/9/22 spike <spike66 at att.net>

>>Question please, extro-thinkers: how do I use a digital camera to prove an
event took place no later than stated?

>You don't - not with the digital camera itself.  Data can be edited, and
the courts know
this.  (If you include today's newspaper, that could be pasted into a
photograph taken
earlier, for instance.)  Adrian

Ja digital photos can be edited, but this isn't a criminal court, rather a
fairly minor civil case.  For those outside the US, a bit of explanation is
in order.  In the US, criminal courts and civil courts have standards of
evidence that are almost opposite.

In criminal court the defendant is presumed innocent.  The prosecution must
present evidence in direct proportion to the amount of money the defendant
owns.

In civil court, the richest party is presumed guilty.  The defense must
present evidence in direct proportion to the amount of money the defendant
owns.

Yes, digital photos *could* be edited, but it would then be the
prosecution's task to prove that it was done, which is quite unlikely in
this case, especially if we have human testimony to back it up if it is
called into question.  So I am actually asking from a lowish-level standard
of evidence, a low cost, low effort item of evidence where the amounts of
money at stake are a few tens of thousands of dollars, probably less than
100k, something for which a lawyer wouldn't go to too much effort.