[ExI] Paleo lifespan

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 18:43:36 UTC 2011

One of the best surviving examples of a hunter gatherer society is the
Hadza in Tanzania.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/12/hadza/finkel-text/1

The story talks about the tribal elder, a man of 60. In conclusion,
the author remarks:

"But I could never live like the Hadza. Their entire life, it appears
to me, is one insanely committed camping trip. It's incredibly risky.
Medical help is far away. One bad fall from a tree, one bite from a
black mamba snake, one lunge from a lion, and you're dead. Women give
birth in the bush, squatting. About a fifth of all babies die within
their first year, and nearly half of all children do not make it to
age 15. They have to cope with extreme heat and frequent thirst and
swarming tsetse flies and malaria-­laced mosquitoes."

Granted, the Hadza have tobacco, which traditional hunter gatherers
did not have to deal with, but this hardly sounds like a group that
lives to an average age of 70. I don't know how you would come up with
an average mortality of 70 in groups like this. It just doesn't seem
possible.

-Kelly