[ExI] Paleo lifespan (and an aside from Capitalism Genes)

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Sun Apr 3 18:50:42 UTC 2011

Originally posted by BillK:
> I don't believe it is a myth that paleo people only had an average
> life span of around 30-35 years. But it wasn't due to their diet.

Agreed.  All I'm pointing out is that "average lifespan" is a misleading
measure of how long they lived, due to massive infant and child
mortality, and therefore doesn't tell us whether Paleolithic habits are
healthy.

Since we're talking about Clark's "Capitalism Genes", one of the
startling facts he begins with is that the *average* modern
hunter-gatherer tribe (banished to the most hostile and least productive
lands on the planet) eats better than the residents of the richest
countries in the world previous to 1800 -- and still eats better than
the average African!

I will also note that several of these tribes are composed of people we
call "pygmies", with average heights at or below five feet, and that
their caloric intake is therefore even larger in proportion.

JS
http://www.gnolls.org