[ExI] Raw vs. cooked (was paleo)

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Sun Apr 3 19:02:33 UTC 2011

Originally posted by Mr Jones:
> I recently came across information claiming that the process of cooking
> foods itself causes an immune response during digestion, and recommends that
> at least 51% of each meal be raw/uncooked food to prevent/counter this
> response.
>
> I've been eating raw/uncooked as much as possible, and I've got to say, it
> really does make a difference.  You have so much more energy.

The raw/cooked thing is an interesting balancing act between energy
availability (generally increased by cooking), nutrient availability
(often decreased by cooking), and toxin degradation (usually the purpose
of cooking in the first place).

As far as immune response, where did you read that?  Foods are so
different in composition that I can't imagine a blanket recommendation
that covers all of them.  Raw potatoes, for instance, are a bad idea, as
are raw eggs...whereas certain raw veggies may be a good idea.

Interestingly, raw meat is actually a very good idea nutritionally: it's
bacterial and parasitic contamination we're worried about.  I wonder if
hard freezing (the same process used for sushi in America) does the same
thing for meat that it does for fish?

"...'freezing and storing seafood at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days
(total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and
storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F
(-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24
hours' which is sufficient to kill parasites."
http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-grade-fish.htm

JS
http://www.gnolls.org