[ExI] Meat and the paleo diet, again

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Apr 17 03:22:35 UTC 2011

Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote,
> I can confirm (so far, one-mouse-experiment warning applies) that it
> seems to be beneficial: More energy, slow but steady weight-loss,
> general feeling of well-being, *much* greater appreciation of my food,
> diminished cravings, increased inclination to exercise, changing
> muscle:fat ratio (in favour of muscle!), and the occasional day when
> I just feel on top of the world.
>
> It's really something that makes you take notice if, in your fifties,
> a regimen makes you feel like a teenager again!

Nice!  Unfortunately, I had the opposite experience.  I tried to go
low-carb for over a year.  I had zero energy and couldn't think
straight.  I felt like I was walking around in a fog all the time.  I
decreased my ability to lift weights, and saw my performance go downhill
all year.  I just couldn't do as many reps, and I kept having to
decrease my weights.

When I started eating low-glycemic whole-grain carbs again, I felt
wonderful.  I did double the reps my first gym session.  And I started
thinking clearly again, and made a tremendous breakthrough at work
during my first week back on carbs.  I had even tried eating more cheese
and saturated fats, even though I did not believe in the nutritional
validity of this.

Low-carb just didn't work for me.  And I did stubbornly stick with it
long-term.  Any weight-lifters have good experiences on low-carb?  I
keep reading that carb-loading is required for enough energy to get
through multiple reps, and that digesting protein and fat just can't
release energy fast enough to keep up with peak demand.

--
Harvey Newstrom, Security Consultant, <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CGEIT CSSLP CRISC CIFI NSA-IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP