[ExI] Carbohydrates and energy

Tue Apr 19 11:21:45 UTC 2011

Dave Sill wrote,
> Methinks you're putting too much faith in glycemic index. Have you read
Gary Taubes' "Is Sugar Toxic?" from the NYT Magazine last week? If not, you
should:

> Methinks you're putting too much faith in glycemic index. Have you read
Gary Taubes' "Is Sugar Toxic?" from the NYT Magazine last week? If not, you
should:

No faith at all.  I look at the scientific evidence.

This article looks like hand-waving and denialism to me.  It argues maybe
the scientists are wrong.  Maybe animal experiments don't apply to humans.
Maybe the lab doesn't represent the real world.  Maybe more research is
required.  Maybe.

If we don't use current science or current experimental results or the
scientific method, what do we base our nutritional opinions upon?

> > (Especially given my other posting showing that Neanderthals had a
> > history of eating cooked grains.)
>
> Sorry, but that's very thin evidence for grain consumption

Did you read the same references I gave?  Multiple historical sites?
Wide-spread geography? Different latitudes?  A dozen different grains
cataloged?  Proof of widespread cooking of grains?  Fossils in teeth and
excrement and storage of grains?

What part of all of this are you calling "thin evidence"?   What more could
you possible want as evidence?