[ExI] Carbohydrates and energy

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 14:26:11 UTC 2011

On Apr 19, 2011 8:23 AM, "Harvey Newstrom" <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

> No faith at all.  I look at the scientific evidence.

OK, then what scientific evidence do you have that your diet is healthy? Has
it even been studied?

> This article looks like hand-waving and denialism to me.  It argues maybe
> the scientists are wrong.  Maybe animal experiments don't apply to humans.
> Maybe the lab doesn't represent the real world.  Maybe more research is
> required.  Maybe.

I don't think Taubes argues that *maybe* more research it's
required...clearly he thinks it is required.

> If we don't use current science or current experimental results or the
> scientific method, what do we base our nutritional opinions upon?

How about (1) knowledge of human biochemistry and (2) knowledge of the diets
that our species evolved under?

> Did you read the same references I gave?

Yeah, I read then when I posted them here back in round 1 of the
paleo/primal discussion.

> Multiple historical sites?
> Wide-spread geography? Different latitudes?  A dozen different grains
> cataloged?  Proof of widespread cooking of grains?  Fossils in teeth and
> excrement and storage of grains?
>
> What part of all of this are you calling "thin evidence"?

That's less than half a dozen examples of wild grain consumption. Compare
that to the thousands of sites with evidence of meat consumption.

-Dave