[ExI] Carbohydrates and energy

Max More max at maxmore.com
Wed Apr 20 02:03:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com>wrote:

> Google the terms "glycemic index" and "glycemic load".  Some carbs are
> simply slower to absorb than others.  I'm not making any of this stuff up
> by
> myself.  This is standard nutritional science.  Nothing new here.  There
> has
> been plenty of long-term clinical trials about the benefits of eating more
> complex carbohydrates and less sugar.

Harvey, it seems like you think paleo advocates reject the concepts of
glycemic index and load. Where did you get that idea? I would say that the
vast majority of paleos that I've read (which is quite a few by now) find
glycemic index of very limited value but find glycemic load to be quite
valuable. The paleo argument is that, glycemic index/load aside, even
complex carbs can be problematic because most of us (to widely varying
degrees) find other problems with them, including reactions to gluten and
other substances in grains, and reduced nutrient absorption due to
anti-nutrients.

The Gary Taubes article cited was far from his best material. It was merely
suggestive. I would strongly recommend his book, Good Calories, Bad
Calories. You'll find ample evidence in favor of higher-fat diets and
against the American orthodoxy, as you requested.

--- Max