[ExI] The Great Silence again

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Apr 25 00:38:51 UTC 2011

On Apr 24, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Keith Henson wrote:

> Re messing with you perception of time, I have been talking about
> subjective warp drive since at least 1990.
> http://www.alcor.org/cryonics/cryonics9010.txt
>
> I don't know how long I have been thinking about the consequences of
> speeding up, but by 2003 I wrote this:
>
> "To put bluntly, if technophilic life is common, none of them survive their
> local Singularity.
>
> "There are alternatives, for example, as we speed up our thinking, the stars
> recede out of reach.  (If your subjective time is sped up a million fold,
> the nearest star becomes millions of years away.)  But this assumes no
> variation, since slowing down your thinking brings the stars
> closer.  (Assuming no FTL travel.)
>
> "Our entire species is going over a waterfall in a barrel.  There doesn't
> seem to be a way to leave part of them on the shore as we drift downstream."
>
> http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=21617

As I recently wrote elsewhere:

The solution is quite simple. Every evolved intelligent species, by reason of the particulars of its evolution, evolved with many characteristics that are inimical and/or inadequate for dealing with the rapidity of its technological progress up to tech singularity. In short the evolved nature of the species must be significantly overcome to be fit for the quite different world and future from the one their evolution shaped them for. Very very few evolved intelligent species successfully meet this challenge in a timely [enough] manner.