[ExI] The Great Silence again

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 01:04:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Keith Henson wrote:

snip

>> "Our entire species is going over a waterfall in a barrel.  There doesn't
>> seem to be a way to leave part of them on the shore as we drift downstream."
>>
>> http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=21617
>>
> As I recently wrote elsewhere:
>
> The solution is quite simple. Every evolved intelligent species, by reason of the particulars of its evolution, evolved with many characteristics that are inimical and/or inadequate for dealing with the rapidity of its technological progress up to tech singularity. In short the evolved nature of the species must be significantly overcome to be fit for the quite different world and future from the one their evolution shaped them for. Very very few evolved intelligent species successfully meet this challenge in a timely [enough] manner.

The evidence is inclusive, all we see is no evidence of techophilic
agents messing with the wild state of the universe.

_If_ technophilics are common then something eats them before they can
put an obvious stamp on the universe.  Or at least they don't do so
probably for a common reason, perhaps as we have speculated they speed
up, the starts go out of reach and they stay home.  It's possible that
is out fate.

The alternative is that technophilics are so rare that we are the only
example in our light cone.

In which case, the future is just unknown.

I suspect that evolution is going to shape species that achieve
technophilic status in rather similar ways.

Keith