[ExI] The Great Silence again

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 25 12:49:06 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 06:04:32PM -0700, Keith Henson wrote:

> The alternative is that technophilics are so rare that we are the only
> example in our light cone.

We're not in anybody's smart lightcone. Observing
relativistic pioneer wavefronts by yet subexpansive observers
is arbitrarily improbable due to anthropic effect.

Even so, if you look out into the spacetime it's
obviously not very brilliant, at least at the
time the photons emerged there. This puts nucleation
density at low, very low.

> In which case, the future is just unknown.
>
> I suspect that evolution is going to shape species that achieve
> technophilic status in rather similar ways.

Probabilistically also unlikely. Each trajectory
could well be unique. We have overshoot, but this
doesn't mean everybody should be as stupid.