[ExI] PaleoCRON?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Apr 26 19:39:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:22:52PM -0700, Max More wrote:
> We really don't yet know how much of a boost CR will give to the human life
> span. Note that both Aubrey de Grey and Michael Rose expect that CR produces

I would be very, very surprised if it gives you 20, maybe 30 years
just as outliers.

> results that are closer to absolute than relative to the species.
> This means, if they are correct, that humans will enjoy a quite modest
> extension, nothing like decades.

I think CR as part of a lifestyle in absence of pathologies can result
in one to three decades at high quality of life, similar to current
supercentenarians. Nothing to write home about, unfortunately.

> I agree with Stefano about the downsides to moderate-to-severe CR. On the
> other hand, I see all kinds of good reasons to practice mild-to-modest CR in
> the form of intermittent fasting and portion control as part of a NeoPaleo
> approach. Doing fasting while on a NeoPaleo diet is easier, because blood
> sugar levels are more stable and hunger less acute.

Most of current jobs today are moderately stressful sedentary rodent
pushing. It's hard to reconcile a healthy lifestyle with that, with
CR being part of the package.