[ExI] PaleoCRON?

Jones Murphy morphy at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 27 09:31:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see, life isn't worth living if you are living it in constant hunger
> pains?

I've been on some degree of CR for almost 20 years now, and am not in
hunger pains at all, though I miss some tasty treats that I have very
rarely these days.

> That makes sense to me. I have the advantage of good longevity
> genetics, as well as never having smoked, or participated in alcohol.
> I know some people think these "sacrifices" are too much, but it's
> just normal to me. So given the idea that CR doesn't push the maximums
> out for healthy people much, I'll pass too. :-)

"Participating in alcohol" is actually positive for life expectancy in
limited quantities, particularly red wine. If you're from genetic
stock that lives to something near human max life-span, i.e. well over
100 yrs consistently, then CR's benefits will be less for you indeed.
But I imagine they won't be zero. And the late-life quality of life
improvements beyond just number of years are quite substantial and are
worth exploring.

The big caveat with CR is that most of the benefits derive from
starting young. Late onset delivers more limited benefits(though
significant for those prone to diabetes, heart disease and cancer). At
the DNA level CR does still stop or reverse something like 80% of
age-related DNA changes, per Stephen Spindler's excellent gene-chip
work.