[ExI] PaleoCRON?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 21:20:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Jones Murphy <morphy at alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "Participating in alcohol" is actually positive for life expectancy in
> limited quantities, particularly red wine.

The antioxidants and other ingredients of red wine have been shown to
be healthy. I know of no proof that the alcohol is required to achieve
these benefits. Perhaps the alcohol keeps you coming back often enough
to get the benefit. ;-)

> If you're from genetic
> stock that lives to something near human max life-span, i.e. well over
> 100 yrs consistently, then CR's benefits will be less for you indeed.
> But I imagine they won't be zero. And the late-life quality of life
> improvements beyond just number of years are quite substantial and are
> worth exploring.

Just living long is certainly less interesting than living well for a long time.

> The big caveat with CR is that most of the benefits derive from
> starting young. Late onset delivers more limited benefits(though
> significant for those prone to diabetes, heart disease and cancer). At
> the DNA level CR does still stop or reverse something like 80% of
> age-related DNA changes, per Stephen Spindler's excellent gene-chip
> work.

Probably too late for me then... I eat like shit.

-Kelly