[ExI] How slow is capitalism?

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Thu Apr 28 11:30:12 UTC 2011

Il 28/04/2011 12:42, Jones Murphy ha scritto:
> Keith is on to something here. While I obviously wouldn't agree with
> any law prohibiting me from doing what I do now, I certainly didn't
> leave physics for Wall St because quantum optics or general relativity
> were boring. If the playing field were tilted to the point where I
> could make more money doing physics or some other sort of scientific
> research, I would consider it. Unlike the allegedly
> anti-government(and I emphasize allegedly, due to how few of them move
> to the vast area of the planet which remains de facto ungoverned)
> types, I do think government can play a constructive role by
> incentivizing people to exercise their individual choices in certain
> ways. Relationships have been observed quite consistently between
> economic growth and R&D investment, and those can be translated into
> tax receipts and thus incentives to capable youngsters to do R&D
> instead of say trading.

Maybe the reason people don't move in some de facto ungoverned places
inside governed nations is the inability to accumulate wealth without
the government showing to collect after the hard work is done (or simply
destroying the hard work done for some reasons).

This is the reason of the Seasteading movement. Find the technological
and economical way to move outside the reach of the governments, create
wealth and be able to keep it from the governments.

I would suggest that what the government could do and what they really
do is vastly different.

How many governments reduce the debts burden and save wealth for the
rainy days? Ghaddafi apart (apparently he have 150 metric ton of gold
stashed in Tripoli). The UK and the Frech are crying they have burned
30% of their reserve munitions in few weeks.

Mirco