[ExI] Astroturf - Is anything 'real' out there?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 18:04:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Richard Loosemore wrote:
<snip>
> Of all the many astroturf situations I have heard about over the last
> decade, the overwhelming majority were right-wing or libertarian funded.
>
> The only time I have heard a journalist do a He-Said-She-Said and try to
> mention a supposedly left-wing astroturf, to balance mention of a right-wing
> one, that organisation was one that I (and many other people I know)
> actually joined, and actively support with email protests .... hence
> manifestly not a cashroots organization at all, but a genuine one.

I think it is a bit unfair to say some astroturf campaigns were
libertarian funded. Libertarians are a tiny group with little funds to
play with. Overwhelmingly it is big corporations with huge PR budgets
that are producing astroturf propaganda.

(Unless you define libertarians as Republicans who take drugs).  ;)

BillK