[ExI] ai class at stanford

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Aug 20 03:14:41 UTC 2011

.

Who is with me?

spike

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of G. Livick
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 7:52 PM
To: ExI chat list; L. Stephen Coles, M.D., Ph.D.
Subject: Re: [ExI] ai class at stanford

>.I suspect I already know all there is to know on this subject, but I'll
log in just to see if anything has changed since my last major breakthrough
:-).  It will be interesting to observe if this class takes us outside the
world of sensor fusion and fuzzy algorithms.  Maybe a new feature will be
introduced, something like human-like_abstraction.h.

>.Thanks for the referral, Spike!

Actually the AI is only part of what I find interesting.  If universities
start doing this, it shatters the entire traditional paradigm of learning
that is thousands of years old.  This goes beyond the Learning Company
products, which are quite good, but those are just traditional lectures
someone recorded and offered for sale.  This is good, but the Stanford AI
class goes beyond it.  They offer evaluation of quizzes and tests, some
limited interaction of sorts, a means to track your progress.  The
instructors are world class.  So now it makes it clear that if you pay the
substantial fee to enroll at Stanford, all you are actually buying are the
credentials.  The actual knowledge is being given away free, but you pay
dearly if you want an actual piece of paper that says you know the material.
Fascinating.