[ExI] Discontent with the path physics is taking

Dennis May dennislmay at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 14:55:52 UTC 2011

Beginning in 1991 and continuing to this day I have noticed
that de Broglie-Bohm mechanics and related theories seem
to generate more interest in Hispanic countries than most
other countries.  A friend in graduate school was a student
in Puerto Rico of one of de Broglie's students.  France
and Germany also seem to have some interest also related
to students and colleagues of de Broglie and later Vigier
but that seems proportional to their physics activity
generally.  I have seen virtually no interest in Asian
countries, lower than expected in the US and other English
speaking countries.  I have also seen a scattering of interest
in Islamic Africa and the Middle East- particularly Iran.
Bohm did stint in Brazil which may have also contributed
to some of the Hispanic interest.
I do not know the cultural significance of this observation
but I have seen it for 20 years - perhaps the stagnation of
string theory physics in the mainstream has not spread to
all corners of academia?
Dennis May