[ExI] The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 00:50:48 UTC 2011

And then 2011/12/12 John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a fascinating question!

Hate to do a me too, but I also thought this was a particularly fine point.
Meant to say so earlier, but was busy with other things. Makes perfect
sense to me, although I would add that the church would not likely give a
hoot if this was pointed out to them. Eminently practical, it has been
suggested that when they expanded celibacy laws in the 12th century to
include all clergy, it was to keep the offspring of priests from getting
their grubby little fingers on their money and property. I can't confirm
this. I read it in a novel. But I wouldn't put it past 'em. Sly buggers.

P.S. I found a reference for a similar statement on Wikipedia, if anyone
cares, in their entry on celibacy.  Vitello, Paul (22 March 2009). "On Eve
of Retirement, Cardinal Breathes Life Into Debate on Priestly
Celibacy"<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/nyregion/22egan.html>
. *The New York Times*. Retrieved 1 April 2010.

P.P.S Turns out even the Vatican admits this is a (if not the) reason. I
decided to look for another reference for this post and found this on their
site. Look under "Priestly celibacy from an economic point of view. " If
all other speculations about motivation fails, turn to money.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cclergy/documents/rc_con_cclergy_doc_01011993_prob_en.html