[ExI] Ashkenazi Longevity was Re: The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

Ilia Stambler ilia.stambler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 21:03:07 UTC 2011

* *

> “Try not to worry about asking questions that might be construed aspolitically incorrect or malicious, if it comes from a good and curious
place.”

Yes, Inbreeding as such (keeping the genome stable) does seem to play a
role in longevity.

This has even been suggested for humans by Guiseppe Passarino

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.LE00.IN?order=wbapi_data_value_2009+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

Still the data on the effects of inbreeding are vastly inconsistent, even
for such presumably well studied animals as cats and dogs.

Also very curiously, as of 2009, the five countries with the highest life
expectancy were 1) San Marino (83 years), 2) Japan (83), 3) Hong Kong (83),
4) Switzerland (82), 5) Israel (82) – all are communities with apparently
relatively high genetic homogeneity/inbreeding.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.LE00.IN?order=wbapi_data_value_2009+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

The reason I was worrying about the “political correctness” is that this
kind of data would be normally cited by rabid nationalists (which I hope I
am not). And I have actually seen them cite similar evidence
(interestingly, regarding most nations they use the terms “low genetic
diversity” and “keeping to the roots” while regarding the Jews it’s usually
“inbreeding” and “enclosure.”)

Still, as you say, perhaps that should not be a cause to disregard a
phenomenon so interesting and potentially significant for life-extension.

Ilia