[ExI] is a FTL drive a dream without any physics to back it up?

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 19:54:56 UTC 2011

2011/12/18 Darren Greer <darren.greer3 at gmail.com>

> I'm not sure exactly what you are saying here.  Could you expand a bit
> more?

Let us say that I get a pretty good idea of the space of possible products
of an evolutionary process. If this space is exceedingly vast, I can still
be curious of what actually exists, at least in my light sphere, as opposed
to what simply could exist.

The feedback mechanisms come through the process of evolution itself. When
> the seeded planet(s) develop radio technology, then the progenitors get
> interested, and know that phase one is complete.  Any planet that didn't
> develop radio technology is considered a failure and written off. We tend
> to think of projects of any sort on such small scales.

Wolfram posits that i) unless computational processes are "anthropomorphic"
enough, we are bound not to recognise them as "intelligence" at all; ii)
the better the compression of signals, the more indistinguishable the
signal becomes from noise. The combination of this two facts would account
for the Fermi paradox.

--
Stefano Vaj