[ExI] The Catholic Impact (was Re: Origin of ethics and morals)

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Dec 22 10:02:38 UTC 2011

On 2011-12-21 23:36, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> To bring things back on topic, I would add that such deliberate effort
> at creating artificial melting pots not only is openly aimed at reducing
> cultural diversity in favour of a universal way-of-life, but it helps
> slowing down, as it has always been the case in slavery-based economies,
> technological innovation, which is instead a typical consequence of
> highly-paid, scarce manpower in more communitarian environments.

I'm not entirely convinced. The US has been the main site of
technological innovation for a long time, yet it has fairly cheap
manpower and a not very communitarian environment. Certainly Scandinavia
and Japan have been high-tech (expensive manpower and a communitarian
environment), but it seems that the availability of capital in the US
has been a far more deciding factor.

Looking at Florida's studies of the creative class (and Charles Murray's
mapping of human excellence in time and space) I get the strong
impression that the truly creative environments are indeed melting pots
- clusterings of talent, tolerance and tech infrastructure (interpreted
loosely), likely supplemented by ready availability of money or other
forms of investment into projects.

Just like artificial silicon valleys rarely work, artificial melting
pots rarely work - melting pots require people in them to make up the
rules between themselves, not to have them imposed by ever so benevolent
outside powers. This is often messy, and I suspect the majority of
normal people do not actually want to live there.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute